Thursday, April 19, 2012

Life happens...

Mama Vir, Circa 1962

As well as loss of life.  My Mom had a heart attack on January 4th of this year, and passed away on February 15th.  She spent six weeks in the hospital following two surgeries and a stroke, and passed away  surrounded by family and friends.

I was a case manager for the elderly for six years, and I always encouraged clients to have a living will and power of attorney.  My mom would never get rid of her throw rugs or her blouses that were twenty years old, but this is something she did listen to me about.  I can't say the decision to let her go was any easier with it being written on a piece of paper, but it gave my sister and I a peace of mind that that decision is what my mother wanted.  She was only sixty-nine years old, and my heart hurts every day.  So please friends, talk to your parents about this.  It sucks, but it will happen some day.  My sister and I had a folder in her hutch we discovered with all of her important papers in it.  In the folder left a note:

Hi Kelly and Jami-
For my investments call Al.  My life insurance and legal documents are in here.  I have no bills, my car is paid off.  I miss and love you.

Love,
Mom

She wrote that in 2007, five years before she passed.  


My dad has been gone almost twenty years.  I feel bad for people who are estranged from a parent, because I was blessed to have two wonderful parents.  Not everyone can say that, but I can.   


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you mom but know she must have been a wonderful woman since she created you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks A! She was something special. <3

    ReplyDelete