Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pinterest Part Two: The Test Tube Spice Bin

Random shapes and sizes make it hard to organize.
My spices in the pantry were a mess.  I hate spice racks because they never include all of the spices you use, plus they include spices you may never use!  I found this idea on Pinterest (you know, the new crack for women) and decided to try it out. 

I went to Etsy and purchased test tubes and corks.  They were at my door step within a few days.  If you were smart you would use a funnel, but I did not.  Got a little more on my table on a few spices, and I've been sneezing like crazy.


I filled the tubes with the spices I had on hand.  Some of them required two tubes.  I was also glad I did this because I found some spices that were expired and should have been thrown out like five years ago.  I wish I was joking.   




Miss Kia is quite the assistant. 

I used a fine print Sharpie to label the spice on the corks.




Coolness....I'm done!  I used a little basket that I've had for years.  This project cost less than $30...$21 for the test tubes and corks, $8 for shipping.  There were cheaper tubes, but I really liked the look of the cork tops.  This was well worth the time and money because there is more room in my pantry and all of my spices are accessible with out taking up counter space. 


I decided to leave my salt and pepper in its shakers.  Maybe some day I'll get big girl shakers, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?    ;)


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea!!! I've been looking online for some of these tubes and all the ones I found have horrible reviews saying they broke when the stopper was put in.. where did you get yours??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had any problems! If you scroll over the 2nd paragraph over test tubes, it should link directly to the etsy seller I used. Let me know if that doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete