Tuesday, January 22, 2013

5K Challenge: Frostbite 5K




I decided for the year of 2013, I want to do a 5K every month.  I love 5Ks because they take less than an hour, your fees go to a good cause, and you get a free t-shirt!  Iowa weather can be a bitch to deal with, so I was nervous about doing them in January/February.  Turns out the 5K I registered for in January had perfect weather.  It was almost 50 degrees!

The 5K was called the Frsotbite 5K, which benefits the Alzheimer's Association for the Quad Cities.

I convinced my sister to go since it was near her (she lives two hours away), and then we got my eight-year-old nephew Bloom to go.

My sister and I wanted to walk so we could catch up and talk (and mostly because we are out of shape) but being a typical eight year old, Bloom wanted to run ahead.  I told him if he walked by us he could listen to my iPod.  He was good for a bit and decided to creep ahead of us.  I eventually had to run after the little turd, which I couldn't catch up to him.  There was a loop at the end for the .2 mile, and I caught him finally.  He ran the loop again with me, and we finished the race together.

I wasn't very happy with hum, but we finished five minutes before my sister.  My time was 48 minutes. Not great, but for not training at all I will take it.



The weather turned very cold the next day, so I'm not sure what February will bring.  If there is a month where I'm not able to do the 5K, I will do two in another month.  So far I'm one for one ;)

Not bad for a stroll in the park!
















No comments:

Post a Comment